Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Samuel's Gorge Shiraz

I've been a bit sick lately so I've tried to lay off the alcohol...but I did have a chance to try:

Samuel's Gorge Shiraz 2004.

Several years ago when I went to visit the McLaren Vale (thanks to my wife who planned the trip for me), we went to a place called Samuel's Gorge.  I hadn't heard of it before but what really impressed me was that all of his wine (he only makes a few) was very well made. I also liked that the winemaker (who looks like a bit of a hippy) was there talking about his wine..he seemed very passionate about it...I think the only thing I didn't like was there were just too many people and it was a bit crowded in the space that was there.  What struck me most was that he actually had a relatively good Australian Tempranillo....most of which is pretty bad in Australia although it has vastly improved in last few years. 

Forward to 2013 where I had been lucky enough to acquire a Samuel's Gorge Shiraz from 2004 which was a fairly good year for that region...

Big dark and red fruits on the nose....smells a little overripe but not too bad.  I'm not sensing a ton of alcohol and starting to pick up a little herbiness but not too much....It is very clean..but in the sense that it is fairly straightforward..all the good smells, none of the bad..but not too interesting..

Very dark fruits, blackberries, boysenberries and a little raspberry coming through on the palate...A pinch of prune....Definite hints of overrippeness but pretty typical I think for this region.  There is actually decent acidity but not good acidity...I would say good acidity considering this is McLaren Vale...I don't think I'd classify this a fruit bomb..I think it is a wine that can compete overseas (which this does).  I'm not quite sure this is the style I'm looking for as far as what I really enjoy right now..but there is no doubt this would be popular with a lot of people...popular with those that are non wine geeks and still geeky enough for those that are....


There are a lot of events coming up in the next month or two....Riesling, Pinot and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment