Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tyrrells Vat 9 1997

Tyrrells Vat 9 1997
I was a bit skeptical about this because I've read a few things in the past that made me think this would be well past it...but Tyrrells has been making great wines for a long time (although a slight change in style 10 years or so ago) so I had some hope.

Really surprised with this one...quite a bit darker in the glass than I was expecting...Acidity is quite high which is what I expected for an aged Hunter.  Tannins were still there as well..the fruit was still showing and the nose was quite nice.  Showed a lot younger than what I was originally expecting and the wine ended up being really quite nice.  

Leather, red fruits a bit of earth.  Some slight forest floor characters as well...Still some nice grip on the wine and really nice mouthfeel.  I'm not sure I'd expect this to go longer although the structure seems to suggest it might..I'd probably say drink it now if you have it.

update:  I had another bottle of this that was corked and Tyrrells kindly replaced it with a 2009 Vat 9....What can I say, great wine across the board...great service....A big shop with some really boutique releases...One of my favorites in Australia and I don't see that changing..

No comments:

Post a Comment