Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

A little bit of this a little bit of that

Wynns Centenary Cabernet Shiraz 1991.
This is a freak of a wine.  Made up of Wynns Michael Shiraz and John Riddoch Cabernet..and in a good year...and you have a winner.
The nose struck me as Bin 389...mouthfeel 389...chalky tannins..dark fruit..but after a bit more time it started opening up a bit more..the acid was coming through, it reminded me a lot of a 1991 John Riddoch Cabernet..Really quite a nice wine, very enjoyable but it is missing something for me...maybe it is a bit too primary with some secondary and I'm looking for more? Not sure...I think this will go longer though so hopefully I'll have a chance to try it in 5 years...91 points

Wendouree Shiraz 2003
Really young..really tight...I'm not even sure it is worth talking about at this point because it needs more time.  Great acidity and mouthfilling but not gum ripping tannins..very typical younger wendouree texture.  If you like Barolo, you will like these.  A bit of nail polish on the nose which I think is very typical...fruit is coming through as red fruits but relatively simple at this point.  I like this wine for the texture but it is just too tight right now.  I do think it'll open up quite a bit later on.  90 points now...probably higher later..

Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1992
This wine is what eventually becomes St. Peters...the 96 I had awhile back was great and still looking young..this one had a typical St. Peters type nose...red and dark fruits..some mocha...A cooler climate shiraz that somehow balances power and elegance.  Started off a bit slow but really starts to open up after awhile...but that said, a couple of hours later and this thing was dead.  90 points.

d'Arenberg Dead Arm 2002.
I don't remember this being this BIG but it was..huge wine..bit fruit...a lot of heat though.  Says 14.5 but I don't believe it...very much a big fruit bomb type of wine...Tannins have softened but I'm not enjoying this one that much and I generally don't mind Dead Arms that often...I think within the style people will like it...not quite for me but not a bad wine...88 points

Sami Odi Dallwitz .534 Shiraz 2010
Florals and a bit of stalk on the nose..dark fruits...Palate slams into my face, big but clean fruit...feels like a Barossa but finishing so much nicer and with a lot more finesse.  I'm not really sure what to think of this wine at this point but I think it is interesting..I like the concept, the wines are well made....I think with time this will be very nice..91 points.


No comments:

Post a Comment