Search This Blog

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Scores?

I've had some questions about scoring and why not include scores, etc...and it is a question I've thought about a lot....

I think one issue I have is, my scores would be significantly lower than most other critics..especially Australian wine critics....It isn't that I'm negative on the wines or I'm a harder scorer...but I'm pretty well convinced that the escalation of scores in the wine industry as a whole, is mostly due to wine writers wanting to establish their brand..they'll never admit it but I firmly believe most of them know that higher scores will get them quoted by stores, in ads, etc...If you're not quoted, your brand is losing out.  Not to mention that higher scores means you'll get sent more wine to try and the reverse being true, low scores means you won't get more wine to try....

I also feel I'll struggle with the idea that I should be trying to be as objective as possible about each wine...and some people feel you shouldn't because what I enjoy as a style should be reflected in the score....

So do I publish scores?   Probably needs a bit more thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment