Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

Colonial Estate Richard Lander

Colonial Estate has had a lot of financial issues and the result was a lot of wine that was planned for export that never made it there.  It also meant a ton of it got released into Australia and relatively good prices.  Being a sucker for a good deal I picked up a few for dirt cheap just to try it out.  I already knew going in the style wouldn't be my preference but I also figure it is a good wine for my friends that love big reds.

Colonial Estate Richard Lander Shiraz 2008.
This is a single vineyard wine by Colonial Estate...Apparently not their biggest type of red but still really big.
I have one word.  OAK.  Very ripe fruit, maybe borderline raisin like but not quite.  Big alcohol, a lot of heat and a lot of new oak on the palate.  Softer tannins and a bit of acidity but not a lot...Oddly it has more acidity than I would have expected (it isn't a lot) but it could be there is just so much new oak tingling my tongue that I'm seeing it as oak.  Right now the alcohol is very apparent.
I can see people liking this wine though...definitely not my style..and the alcohol sticks out so much it could impact a fruit bomb lovers enjoyment of it too...but I'll give it a bit more time in the glass and into tomorrow and update what I see...

The 2nd day the wine overall was showing better...the oak seemed to be better integrated....acid is now obviously really low...alcohol seems a bit more tame...a definite fruit bomb..I had one glass and it has covered my teeth....

Is it worth 75 dollars or whatever they want for it?  I don't think so...but I paid under 20 which makes it a great BBQ/Friend wine or something with a lot of meat...Maybe Korean BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment