Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Petaluma Shiraz 2008

In general I'm pretty unhappy with how most Australian Shiraz Viognier tastes when young..there are some exceptions but I often find them very awkward and the viognier sticks out as very bitter...

Petaluma Shiraz 2008.  Their Shiraz has had a bit of Viognier for quite awhile...I'm not sure what possessed me to try this when I know it needed more time but I did...
Normal savory but awkward nose...not picking up any florals but getting some umami...Dark red fruits..a little bit of coffee..Palate is really awkward.  I'm not liking this but not because it isn't well made or the style...I just don't think the Viognier is working well...By the end of day 1 this is waking up a bit..getting nicer umami that is harmonizing with the red fruits...less awkward bitterness.

Day 2.  The nose is fresher, some floral notes but more importantly, it is smelling like a better shiraz viognier..one that is starting to come together.....Palate is MUCH MUCH better...the viognier is adding complexity and deep savory notes, still getting coffee, red fruits, good acid, fine tannins..the wine is really starting to come together.  I'm not going to say it is great..but it has turned into a wine I'd drink whereas Day 1 I wasn't interested at all...

Still not convinced this is the right blend for Australia...there are a few good examples like Clonakilla...and I've seen some good examples when they've aged for 10+ years...but earlier than that and most of them just aren't great...I'm going to guess the quality of their Viognier is just not there and that is doing it...

No comments:

Post a Comment