Search This Blog

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Rockford in 2014

Had a gathering with some friends for a Rockford BP dinner...a lot of great fun but a lot of very good wine as well..

Now, to start off, I do enjoy Rockford Basket Press.  I do NOT enjoy it as much as most though.  They are consistently very good..very clean...always good fruit, solid structure...Overall a very good wine...I'm not sure I consider them very exciting though.  Again, don't get me wrong, I enjoy drinking them..I think the wines are very good...I just think they're very safe.

We had:

1996 Rockford Basket Press
1997 Rockford Basket Press
2004 Rockford Basket Press
2006 Rockford Basket Press
2008 Rockford Basket Press
2009 Rockford Basket Press
2010 Rockford Basket Press
1997 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon
Rockford Black Sparkling Shiraz from 2001.

There were a few other wines that even but sticking with the Rockford theme...

1996 Rockford Basket Press - This has always been one of my favorite BPs and today was no different.  Redder fruits, solid structure, good acidity, great complexity to the wine.

1997 Rockford Basket Press - I've had this several times and they're always just...well..*shrug*.  I'm not even a fan of selling wine but I had several of these and I just ended up selling them because while they were good, they weren't worth what they were selling for.  I picked up quite a bit of oak from this...fruit was decent, not great..overall structure was decent but I didn't really pick up much from this.  This will sound bad but the wine was very non-offensive in the best possible way.  Solid wine but forgettable.

2004 Rockford Basket Press - Picking up a bit of sweetness on this.  I'm not sure what the residual sugar is on this but I'd imagine it is in the 3g+ range.  Nice bright fruit, probably one of the freshest of the night...Overall structure is good...solid tannins but nothing overly grippy..decent acidity...a combination of red and dark fruits, a hint of mint and herbs...Some earthy tones but what is really standing out is the fruit and solid structure.  A very enjoyable Basket Press and one of my favorites of the night...I think this one will age quite well...

2006 Rockford Basket Press.  I think this really suffered next to the 2004 which had been decanted.  Really quite tight..and very aggressive tannins.  Fruit was there but hiding a bit in the background.  Not sure what to think of this...I tried it several times over the evening and it was just too tight to really judge.

2008 Rockford Basket Press.  A lot of people liked this one...for me it was very ok.  Really soft, too soft really.  Low acidity, soft tannins...up front fruit..a very enjoyable drink for now and maybe a few more years.  Structure was not there to go the long haul.  I'd drink these now or very soon in the future.

2009 Rockford Basket Press.  Dark fruits, decent acid, but getting a lot of heat from this as well.  Not sure why but the alcohol is really noticeable.  Given this was the later part of the evening I didn't really nurse this one the way I should've but it was just showing ok.

2010 Rockford Basket Press.  Still one of the best young BP's I've tried...Great fruit, great overall structure.  Tannins are there but not aggressive...good acidity (although added I'm sure)...Good complexity..a bit tight but showing nicely for such a young BP.  I think this will end up being one of the better BPs.....

1997 Rockford Cabernet - I actually enjoyed this a LOT more than the 97 BP.  Reddish fruits, good acid....The Barossa produces rather atypical Cabernet and this is no different...lighter than its Shiraz brother...still very lively and looking quite good.

Rockford Black Shiraz NV (2001 Disgorgement).  These are always fun wines..I'm not quite sure I get them like a lot of my Australian friends...The dosage tends to be from a fortified which lends this some extra residual sugar...For a fun sparkling this quite complex and has some nice savory aspects but still, there is something lacking.  I look at it as it tastes nice, is a bit of fun but still has some geeky things about it too...


Image






Image

No comments:

Post a Comment