Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2014

Wendouree 2014

I'm a big fan of Wendouree...I know they're divisive, I know they can sometimes be as hard as nails..but to me they're unique in Australia.  Big acid, big tannins, lowish oak and just ripe fruit makes for a wine that ages, a wine with complexity, but a wine that a lot of people are just not going to enjoy or that some people think they should enjoy but few that truly appreciate.

Someone said that the problem with a Wendouree tasting is that the wines don't really get to show how different they are, and I agree.  I tend to think they show best in contrast rather than getting a similar texture over and over.  I also think there are some blends that don't show well in this type of format.

But either way..On with the wine.

Wendouree Cabernet Malbec 1993
Great mouthfeel and complexity.  Acidity is in just the right spot.  The tannins have softened significantly but still lending itself to the structure of the wine.  Red Cherrys, a bit of nail polish, leather and earth...This is really quite a nice wine.  It hasn't made that complete evolution but it is drinking great now.  The Cabernet Malbecs are my favorite and this one shows why...92 points

Wendouree Cabernet Malbec 1996
Different than the previous ones I've had..had that familiar sugar smell but it also had a lot of soy...it also had a hole in the texture that was apparent in the last one I had.  The difference though is, this one was dying..Not sure why but the others I've had were young and needed 5-10 more years...this wine was going going gone...I don't know...Oxidized?  Low level TCA?  I don't know...not scored

Wendouree Shiraz 1991
A great year for Wendouree and it showed.  Wonderful complexity, red fruits, spices, earth, mocha, mint, nail polish, leather, great acid, great tannin structure that was still very obvious but soft enough to drink very well....A wine that will last 10+ years EASILY and drink fantastically well the whole time.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this go further and completely evolve, brick up and be an even better wine...93 points

We also had several Shiraz Mataros and Shiraz Malbecs but I won't go into detail.  One thing is obvious though...The Shiraz Mataros are generally better than the Shiraz Malbecs..I know some others don't agree but I see that at all turns.  The Shiraz Malbecs tend to be less Wendouree like and just overall less impressive and less structured.  Maybe I just haven't seen some really good ones.  That isn't to say they're not good wines, they are...I just put them near the bottom of the tree Wendouree wise.


No comments:

Post a Comment