Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Leasingham Bin 8 Riesling

I'm trying not to buy a lot of wine because I'm still struggling to figure out how I'm going to get what I have to the US without sacrificing my liver....but I recently came across a killer deal and I couldn't resist.

Leasingham Bin  8 K.S. Riesling 2008.
Leasingham has gone through some ownership issues and whether as a result of that or just the market, they have stopped exporting to the US although they still export to Europe. 
The K.S. stands for Kabinett Style which basically means it has a bit of residual sugar.  Personally I don't mind a bit of residual sugar as long as the acidity balances it out...I rarely get to see any quality Australian Rieslings (ones not made to be simple and sweet) with RS.  The few I see have a very small bit of RS...this one actually has significantly more than what I might see from Lethbridge or Pressing Matters (both of which I think are great).   Nose has a good amount of Petrol and lime.  This smells like a typical dry Australian Riesling with some age on it.  It is actually quite nice.  Some people might be put off by it but I think it is quite nice.  Nose is a bit simpler than I'd like I didn't really give this a chance to get a lot of air.  The nose should have led me to this but the palate was actually quite surprising.  The best way to describe it is a good amount of RS but that strong Australian acid backing it.  Unlike German Rieslings which seem to seamlessly integrate the sugar as part of the wine...this is very much like half DRY Australian riesling, with the mouthfeel and acidity and that strong Clare Valley Riesling touch to it, combined with a Riesling that has a bit of RS.  Don't get me wrong, it is actually quite nice.  Lime, petrol, a bit of sweetness but it is quite balanced with very good acidity.  Good minerality.  I'm really enjoying the fact that  this has a that aged Riesling taste (even though it is only from 2008) but a bit of sugar...

I'm of two minds on this wine..
On one hand, I can see this being liked by non wine geeks and wine geeks alike...On the other,  I'm not quite sure this would compete properly in the same space as Kabinett German Rieslings...While I think this was quite enjoyable, there is something awkward about the wine.  The ones I've seen with just a touch of RS feel very integrated and you can just catch the glimpse of sweetness....This one really did feel like it wanted to be dry but it wasn't.   It certainly doesn't help that the Australian market thinks this would be more like a dessert wine (which it definitely is NOT..this wine wants food food).  I do like this wine..I'm glad I have some bottles left...I'm also looking forward to having it with some spicy food in the near future.  If you're looking for something completely different than what you might normally see as Riesling in Australia, definitely give this a go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment